For these programs, enter the church through the portico-covered door from the church parking lot or through the east garden door.
Adult Christian Education (ACEs)
Sundays (resumes Sept. 13) | 9:00 a.m. | in the Chapel
– Leaders: Roy Wehrle and Ann Kelson
On September 13th we begin a study on a book about the basics of Christianity and the changing church today. Rev. David Anderson will lead our exploration of What’s Theology Got to Do with It? by Anthony B. Robinson. The church will furnish copies for participants. Call the church office for a copy (217.528.4311, ext. 204).
We have great fun as we all learn and grow together. Everyone is welcome to join.
Adult Bible Study:
Sunday Lectionary-Based Bible Study
9:00 - 10:00 a.m. | in Cook-Diller Lounge
- Conveners, Rhonda Downing, Joe Hills
"Through the exploration of biblical text, adult study groups are invited into a deepened relationship with God. The Present Word engages participants in an experiential style of learning—connecting faith and life. . . " Read more . . .
Adult Bible Study:
Tuesday evenings, through May — Resumes in September
7:00-9:00 p.m. | in the Commons
(Enter through portico-covered door from parking lot or from Garden entrance.)
Teacher: Ann Kelson (217.494.2321)
This year Benchmarks begins with the study of the Gospel According to Matthew, addressing questions such as these:
• How does the Gospel of Matthew tie the Hebrew Scriptures and their promise of the Messiah with the birth, life, death and resurrection of Jesus?
• What was life like for the Jewish people to whom Matthew was written? What were their beliefs and hopes?
• What is the Kingdom of God, and where do we fit into it?
• What are we praying when we pray the Lord’s Prayer –“Thy will be done on earth…”?
• Love your enemy? Turn the other cheek? Thoughts are as bad as actions? Really?
• Incarnation? Resurrection? Was Jesus more than just a good man?